Groups of hosting solutions
A hosting service applies to depositing and/or sharing certain content on a hosting server run by a web hosting vendor. There are different varieties of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's take a glance at them. Doing so, you can choose what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to run a web page, mail accounts, or to share files with chums and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service delivered by certain providers, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single aim is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free file hosting services are frequently supported by displaying advertisements by the download links, while a timer forces you to await a particular interval of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely improper interpretation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the load between independent groups of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different website hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; certain providers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you want to share a large number of pics with mates or acquaintances since the service is typically free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to administering your email addresses. Some corporations provide web hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you would like to own an email address with your domain name but do not want to own a site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can set up e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a specific amount of CPU load, so with several video clips and several hundred web page viewers, you may have trouble with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video file will allow you to utilize as many video clips as you want to without worrying about system reserves.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to possess a site. To some degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Media - Design, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated web hosting solutions that permit you to get all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be limits based on the form of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse compared to the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are intended for particular content solely.